Furnishing and equipment
• The house has four double bedrooms, each with an en-suite bathroom (WC, shower and sink). Each room has its own colour and atmosphere, inspired by the four natural elements. The walls of the showers have been plastered with 'tadelact', an old Moroccan technique, using special chalk-clay, olive oil and black soap. This together with the "rainforest" shower-heads make showering a wonderful experience.
• There is a fully equipped modern open kitchen, with a dishwasher, oven, fridge (with small freezer) and microwave. All kitchen utensils are available. A small siting area with library and radio/CD is situated in the same area.
• In the living room you find comfortable leather easy-chairs. The large sliding windows in the living room make it possible to transfer this area into a covered terrace with magnificent view. There is a large diner table for eight. The dining and living room are located on the same floor. It offers an open fireplace, satellite TV, radio, DVD Dolby Surround system, and free Wi-Fi. At the same level you find the entrance hall with small toilet.
• The spa disposes of an inside swimming pool, water stream jet, sauna, cold water bath, Jacuzzi, a massage mattress, foot bath and showers, these last two with warm cuddle wall. Downstairs there is a dressing room with small fridge, wine glasses and hair dryer. Furthermore there is a separate toilet.
• There are two large terraces. A 'green' terrace in front of the house you can enjoy a sunny breakfast or hide from the warm afternoon sun. On the large terrace upstairs you have a spectacular view. This area is completely protected from the strong "Bura" winds. Here you find a barbecue (BBQ) and outside kitchen. It is a great place to have your diners and to watch the sunset.
• For hot days, there is an air-conditioner in the living room. Fans are available for the bedrooms. The whole house can be heated by a central heating system (floor heating). This allows the house to be used all-year-round..
• Downstairs there is a laundry room with washing machine, dryer and iron. Bed linen, bath towels (not beach towels), bathing robe and tea towels are available for our guests.
Our house is located next to a small simple hotel. If you are with a larger group (up to 12 people), a part of your group may be included there if available. For further information or booking, ►Contact us of bel +32 - 474 - 586845.
Facilities in Oprtalj and surroundings
In Oprtalj there are a few places to eat and drink, such as an enoteca with regional products (truffles, wine, olive oil and the like) on the inner square just before our entrance. Under the historic "Loggia", in front of the house, there is a restaurant with regional dishes, on the terrace passers-by settle down to taste and eat a local wine, while enjoying the beautiful view with the setting sun. On the large square in front of the loggia is a typical local restaurant (Konoba) with a beautiful terrace under large chestnut trees with views of the surrounding area. They serve delicious home-made regional dishes. In the immediate vicinity (a few kilometres away) there are several other restaurants where you can eat well.
In the town itself there is a small grocery shop (40 m) where you can buy everything for breakfast and lunch (open every weekday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday to 12 p.m. and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.). The larger department stores can be found in Buzet and Buje (20 km). In Buzet there is a medical center and in Motovun, Buje and Buzet you will find a pharmacy. In the town there are also a post office (where you can also exchange money) and a Catholic church. The parking is located on the square in front of the 'loggia' at 20 m from the house. If that parking is full, you can also park your car in the parking 100 m away.
Oprtalj also has something to offer for children. In the small, bumpy streets there is almost no traffic and the children play on the street. There is a playground and pétanque field nearby. There are several children who are multilingual (English, German, Dutch, Italian).
Oprtalj is a typical medieval mountain top town, just north of Motovun. It is actually no bigger than a small village. The Romans founded the town as a stop between Italy and Porec. It is in fact one of the oldest cities in Istria. Although it has lost much of its importance, the advantage of this somewhat sleeping town is that it is like a living museum.If you walk around here you can imagine what life in the Middle Ages was like.
One of the attractions of Oprtalj is the local 'konoba/enoteka', the bar-restaurant with its unique terrace next to the loggia and in front of the city gate. From there you have an incredibly beautiful view of the area. It is really one of the most beautiful places in Istria, where it is nice and cool in the summer.
Oprtalj is approximately 20 km from the sea, about half an hour by car. The city of Trieste, Italy, is 35 km from our house, the Slovenian border approx. 10 km. Oprtalj is the ideal starting point for beautiful walks and bike rides. In addition, a whole series of attractions have been realized in recent years, such as Europe's largest water park in Novigrad, only a 20-minute drive away.
Upon confirmation of your booking you will receive an e-mail with an information package with details about the house and the region. At arrival in the house you will also find a folder with detailed information on the house; what to do and see; what in case of an emergency; and with contacts and useful telephone numbers.
For more information, please ►Contact or phone us +32 - 475 - 969 865.